The Catholic Leadership 360 is the most customized leadership development program in the Catholic Church in the United States. It is a feedback assessment for priests and lay ministers that is designed around proven best practices for leadership development, performance improvement, and interpersonal communication.
- You gain insight into your effectiveness as a leader in the Catholic Church.
- Through 360-degree feedback, a process in which you receive feedback from the people with whom you work and minister, you receive a report focused on on your leadership. You’ll discover unrecognized strengths and areas for growth.
- You create a personal development plan to grow in your ministry and strengthen your leadership skills to reflect the life and mission of Jesus.
- Experience an enhanced level of self-awareness and alignment.
- Validate your own understanding of your strengths and leadership development needs.
- Experience a motivation to change behavior.
- Experience enhanced working relationships with others.
- Benchmark a team’s data against a normative database.
- Identify skill level of areas most important for success.
- Identify a group’s strengths and areas for leadership development.
- Facilitate discussion of past, present, and future needs.
- Focus leadership development resources more effectively.
There is an Orientation Workshop for you and your cohort of priests and lay ministers that provides the context, goals of the program, overview of process and expectations, assessment components, guidance on selecting those to give you feedback, information on confidentiality and anonymity, as well as a question and answer session. (2 hours)
You invite feedback from a representative group of people who interact regularly with you in ministry. A customized report is then created for you summarizing the feedback received. (2 hours)
You attend a Feedback Workshop with your fellow priests and lay ministers where you learn how to read your individual feedback report and understand the structure of the one-on-one feedback sessions. (2 hours)
A trained facilitator guides you during a One-on-One Feedback session. This facilitator helps you read through your report and identify 2-3 areas to support your ongoing development as a leader within the Church. (90 minutes)
You join the full cohort for a Development Workshop for training in how to create your personal development plan based on the feedback you received. (2 hours)
“The program allowed me to do some structured thinking about my own ministry…. I’ll make use of the other resources that are available, including coaching and discussions with skilled facilitators. This will help me continue to hone what I like to think of as the art of leadership. I hope I never grow too old to want to learn how to do my art, and I would really encourage any priest to discover within himself the enthusiasm he has for pastoral leadership. With the tools Catholic Leadership 360 gives us, we can all do it better together.”
-Cardinal Joseph Tobin, Archdiocese of Newark
“I knew the process would be helpful, but it is even more helpful than I anticipated. I have been in Church ministry a long time–my entire adult life. Recognizing behaviors that have become strengths and seeing areas I can develop further are invaluable benefits for my personal growth and my ongoing development as a lay ecclesial minister.”
-Mary Ellen Mahon, Secretary for Catholic Formation, Director of Pastoral Ministry, Diocese of Manchester
“Participating in Catholic Leadership 360 was invaluable. Before becoming a priest, I had 20 years of corporate experience, but being a pastor is a different ball game. The feedback I received through the 360 process confirmed some strengths and shortcomings I knew I had, but also opened my eyes and provided a fresh perspective on areas I was not aware of.”
-Fr. Pat Garrett, Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston
Q: How long does the program take?
A: Generally 3-4 months but we always customize the timeline to meet each group’s needs.
Q: How many people participate at a time?
A: We recommend a cohort of 20. We can take a group as large as 30 or as small as 10.
Q: How do you measure leadership?
A: We measure leadership using 13 competencies including communication, managing conflict, and managing diversity, among others.
Q: Does it work the same for ordained and laity?
A: Similar, but different. The competencies and behaviors are tailored depending on the audience.
Q: Who receives a copy of the feedback report?
A: Only the participant receives the feedback report, since the focus is on the individual’s growth, not evaluation. The participant may then choose to share the report with others.
For more information about how you and your diocese, seminary, religious community, or Catholic nonprofit can take advantage of the many benefits of Catholic Leadership 360, email Lisa Metcalfe, Director at Services & Programs, or call 202-635-5820.